Bright Spot: ENERGIZE! Program
Photo by Luis Quintero on Unsplash
This bright spot was originally published in the 100 Million Healthier Lives Change Library and is brought to you through partnership with 100 Million Healthier Lives and the Institute for Healthcare Improvement.
Designed for children age 6-18, ENERGIZE! consists of a family-centered approach to making healthy lifestyle changes in an attempt to prevent weight-related health problems, including type 2 diabetes, prediabetes, and cardiovascular disease. Patients will receive an initial health behavior evaluation as well as ongoing education and support. Based on need and motivation levels, each family will be enrolled in one of the following options: A community-based, 12-week exercise and educational program that meets three times a week and includes group healthy lifestyle education and fitness programs.
Individual, medical nutrition therapy and healthy lifestyle education sessions, including individual meal and fitness plans.
The program has realized the below results:
- The average BMI of participants either decreased or stayed the same over the course of a year
- Participants saw an improvement in fasting blood glucose, total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein, triglyceride, blood pressure measures
- Participants increased muscular strength, endurance, and flexibility
- Participants and their caregivers increased physical activity over the course of a year
- Families decreased their sweetened beverage consumption Families decreased their consumption of high fat snacks
Variable depending upon the organization
Key Steps for Implementation
For community organizations wanting to start an ENERGIZE! program in your area: Contact Julie Paul, RD, CDE (919-350-7594).
For Individual/families: The program begins with a Physician Referral Form Next, the family meets with an educator for an Individual/family assessment and to evaluate the child's readiness to change.
Other Key Requirements
Contact WakeMed for more information
Types of Staff
Return on Investment Details
ENERGIZE! Is proud to partner with community organizations to provide families with more opportunities to achieve a healthy lifestyle.
Evaluation Strategies and Data Collection Tools
- BMI Measurements
- Fasting blood glucose, total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein, triglyceride, blood pressure measurements
- Improvement in fasting blood glucose, total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein, triglyceride, blood pressure
- Increased muscular strength, endurance, and flexibility
- Decreased sweetened beverage consumption
- Decreased consumption of high fat snacks